"BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD." - GANDHI

Friday, April 2, 2010

Is it ok or is it not?!

When we go to a party and are served dinner buffet style, it's ok to walk around, hold our plate in our hand, talk, stand and eat........
So what's wrong if a child wants to do that sometimes in another place or at home?
But no, we correct him and say : "No, you can't do that, you should sit at the table and eat!"
We can go to a cafe, pub or bar and catch up on the daily news or cricket match on TV and have a drink or a bite.....that's ok
But we would reprimand a child for watching his favourite TV programme and eating.....
When we are hungry or feel like a drink, we just go and get what we want, but in our heads we make choices about what we want to have......
But when a child tells you "I don't want to eat that, can I please have .....instead?", we retort with a "No! This is all you can have!"
When a friend asks to borrow your car, you think a hundred times about giving it to him to use, because you don't really know if you can trust him with it......that's ok
But when a child says he doesn't want to share his favourite bike or toy with a neighbour's kid, we say: "You must share!"
When you don't say"Hi" to someone you see everyday, because you are in a foul mood, or because you were preoccupied with something.....that's ok
But when a child doesn't say "hello" to a guest who has come home, it's not ok.
So ....what's really ok and what is not?
Why is it that we give ourselves so many choices but not our kids?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Priya...first of all...CONGRATS on the blog :) Ive jus started readin stuff and absolutelyyyy loved this one...so sooo sooo true!...its somethin that has sure crossed my mind a coupla times too... u've put it rather categorically...
    Choices... we learn to make them frm day 1... and like u said... why is there a difference in the right or wrong of choices as we grow? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, what is ok or not depends on who you are. At that stage, I think children need to know explicitly what is normative behavior. Ideally we would do that by demonstrating it to them 100% of the time. If you can do that, thats great but probably its not realistic for most people. I don't know if its makes sense to overload them with all the exceptions that make up daily life. From my own life, I try to make it a point to apologize to my daughter if I behave in a way that I don't want her emulating, not always succeeding.

    Kids are pretty strong and seem to accept why its ok for me to have a snack (usually sweet) right before dinner but its not ok for her. Just as she's ok with the fact that I can drink beer and she cannot and I have to go to "work" for 12 hrs each day and she does not. My 2c.

    A comment from my Anonymous friend

    ReplyDelete

Spare a moment to pen your thoughts......

Blog Archive